Monday, October 4, 2010

General Conference Highlights

Chocolate on her cranium was doing a general conference meme which she found over at Diapers and divinity. I loved this idea! We were so edified this weekend by the Prophet and apostles. The messages they gave us were wonderful. So here are my answers to the questions of this meme.

General Conference Highlights 2010:
1. Who were your three favorite speakers? There were so many wonderful speakers that this is a hard question.

President Thomas S. Monson "Attitude of Gratitude" Sunday Morning Session
Elder Larry R. Lawrence "Courageous Parenting" Sunday Afternoon Session
David M. McConkie "Being a good Teacher" Saturday Morning Session, this one really helped me with my new calling.:)

2. Favorite Talk?
Larry R. Lawrence was just one of my favorite talks. His talk was wonderful, as a parent of two teenagers I loved how he said we needed to "Be Strong, Be of Good Courage, and Be not Afraid." The youth of our day have many more temptations and trials than we ever did. They need the safety of our homes. A place they know that they can go and have the boundaries that they secretly seek.:) It takes courage to be a parent and we need not be afraid with the Lord on our side.
I could go on about all the other talks, there were just so many wonderful messages this conference.

3. Favorite Hymn sung during Conference?
I loved the song Home from the children's songbook, sang by the family choir on the Saturday Afternoon Session.

4. Who wore the best tie?
I liked the ties in the pictures on Chocolate on her Cranium, go there to see the pictures. Loved Elder Richard G. Scott's tie.

5. Do you think conference had a theme?
There were many talks that taught us of the concept of our agency, and choosing the right. That there are so many temptations in the world but we have the Holy Ghost to help us through our trials and guide us to do what is right. We have a true and living prophet!! Many speakers testified so plainly of this. We must follow the prophet, he is here to guide us.

6. Share a few of your favorite quotes:
"When I was appointed President of the Church. I will take one assignment to myself I will be the advisor to the tabernacle choir. I am very proud of my choir." (President Thomas S. Monson)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" (Leonardo DaVinci; quoted by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

"Love is spelled T-I-M-E" (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

7. Something that made you smile during conference.
President Thomas S. Monson began his talk with the quote above, this made me smile, but then he continued to say his mother wished he had continued with the piano. He said he then went to the piano and played a small piece about a birthday party.:) It brought such a smile to my face.

8. Any evidence that your children paid attention?
My third oldest took notes. He even told me of some of his favorites. The two oldest were sitting there but honestly I don't know how much actually soaked in. The two youngest just colored the whole time. Children will surprise us so maybe our family home evening tonight will be on conference and we will see how much was actually soaked in.:)

9. If you had to give a talk in Conference ( don't faint this is hypothetical)what do you think you would speak about?
First of all I would faint and then I would be sick. That would scare me to death. I would probably pray hard to find out what would be the best topic for me to speak on. Maybe the Atonement, because without it we would be lost.

10 What are some of your post Conference goals?
To have an attitude of gratitude like President Monson spoke about. And to simplify our lives as President Uchtdorf spoke about. I also think that we will try more diligently to have one on one interviews with our children as Larry R. Lawrence spoke of doing. And have courage as a parent.

You are all invited to post the answers to this meme, as it is so rewarding to relisten and to ponder back on our notes what we have been taught. I am so grateful for the opportunity we had to listen to these wonderful speakers.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for participating in the meme. Love your answers and insights.

Montserrat said...

Elder Lawrence's talk was great! Even Mr. FR liked it. :D

Cher said...

This is a cool post. I might do it when I finally finish listening to conference.